Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Cappers of the World Unite! You Have Nothing to Lose But Your Cookies!

It looks like the consensus has Labor Day weekend as the best time for the Capfest, so let's go ahead and plan for that. (Unless anybody has any serious objections, in which case you should speak now or forever hold your peace.)

So that would give us three days (Saturday, August 30, through Monday, September 1) to plot the overthrow of the bourgeoisie and usher in the dictatorship of the capper proletariat -- er, I mean, to spend Labor Day with our favorite capping buddies.

The next step seems to be to get a head count of who can come and where the accommodations will be for those coming from out of town. Mary Ann (Nyssa) and I live in La Verne, which is about 30 miles east of L.A. -- but by Southern California standards, that's practically down the street. Getting into the city from here is no big deal. (Maybe we can go into detail on those logistics in a separate post.)

We should also work up an itinerary of activities. I've got a couple ideas to throw into the mix:

• The touristy tour of Hollywood, including the Walk of Fame, the theaters (Chinese/Egyptian/Kodak/El Rey) and the tacky souvenir shops. To be followed by a drive up to everyone's favorite movie location, Griffith Observatory, where we can see the views and do science-y type stuff.

• A walking tour of downtown L.A. Starting from everyone's second favorite movie location, Union Station, we would visit Olvera Street, have lunch at the must-visit Phillipe's and see some sights like city hall, Parker Center and the L.A. Times Building. Or, if you've really got your walking shoes on, MOCA and Little Tokyo are possibilities, too.

The advantage of these two ideas is that each can be done in a day, leaving the evenings free for another activity. If Brett (teambanzai) is performing with his improv group one of those nights, we can take in a show. Or we can convene somewhere to riff bad movies together.

Of course, there are loads of other opportunities as well, so if you have ideas, let's hear them!

4 comments:

Fred said...

Well I'm in.

Cindy said...

I'm totally in! I would personally love to see the Griffith Observatory - that's something I've always wanted to do. :) And definitely tacky souvenir shops!! It's been YEARS since I've been to LA...how about Chinatown? And yes, I'd love to take in an improv...but most of all, I wanna riff some bad, bad movies! :) I'm driving in, so if anyone needs a ride from the Phoenix-ish area let me know. As far as accomodations...I'm sure there's a Sleazy 8 around there somewhere with my name on it, but I could use some help picking one out...any suggestions? (Share a room, anyone? I don't bite unless asked, and I don't snore *too* loud...)

CindyM

Anonymous said...

I'm in! Yes, I'm commenting late, but I still want to go! We gotta get more people to join in!

Generik said...

Speaking of commenting late...

I am totally down with both walking tours, and looking forward to seeing the real Los Angeles again. It's been a long time...