Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Still Moving Forward.

I second (or third) the notion expressed in the comments earlier about not wanting to let this die out. So, to that end -- speak up, people!

I guess the first question we need to answer is when to get together. It seems that we've narrowed it down to either Labor Day weekend or Columbus Day weekend. Does anyone want to speak up for one or the other? Pros and cons? Plusses or minuses? Yings or yangs? (As opposed to YingYang, unless he chooses to join us.)

Personally, I'd prefer Labor Day, since I don't get Columbus Day off at work. (Sure, it's no problem for me to take a vacation day that day, but having the CapFest on Labor Day means I don't have to dip into my vacation time.) But I can easily do either if need be.

The next question would be, do we want to make this a two-day or a three-day affair (not counting travel days on either side for those of you coming from a distance)? We could go Saturday/Sunday, or Sunday/Monday, or Saturday/Sunday/Monday, or Friday/Saturday/Sunday (or you can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay....)

In other news, it looks like my new survey site is something of a bust. Instead of me trying to find another one, maybe we can just have a lively dialogue in the comments?

Finally, lest you think we're all business around here, I'll leave you with this picture of a tiny monkey:

8 comments:

Fred said...

Unless there's a specific reason not to host the weekend around Labor Day -- it's a bad weekend to travel, an event we're interested in won't happen until Columbus Day weekend, etc. -- I think Labor Day is the better choice.

That would make this around August 29 to September 1. I think we could easily stagger events -- not everyone has to join us for the entire weekend -- but I'd be interested in at least 3 days, maybe Friday to Sunday, traveling back home on Monday. But I'm flexible.

For those who know the area: is there anyplace you think that's likely to get too crowded that weekend? Keep in mind, everybody's going to be off Labor Day and looking to enjoy summer's last hurrah.

Desuko. said...

As far as crowds go, on Labor Day there are only two places everyone wants to go -- the river or the beach. We're not doing the river anyway, so that's not a concern. If folks really wanted to go to the beach, I suppose that would be doable, but there are a lot of other options that would be less crowded.

Maybe others who've spent time here might have a different take on it, but I don't see a lot of the "summer's last hurrah" mentality here about Labor Day weekend. The winter weather is pretty much the same as the summer weather, so it's not like everyone is preparing to say goodbye to the sun for several months. People go to the beach, hiking, etc., year-round here. Rather, it's just a three-day weekend with a socially-sanctioned excuse to drink.

Anonymous said...

As I have said, I am open to just about any day. I have vacation days in pocket, and should be able to attend just about any time. Y'all decide on a day, and I shall be in attendance.

Fred said...

Well, "summer's last hurrah" more for tourists, maybe. But if it's not an issue, it's not an issue. I doubt Labor Day weekend is going to be a ridiculously difficult weekend for flights home or anything.

Generik said...

I vote Labor Day, if for no other reason than that I can come down and spend some time after the weekend and go to the LA County Fair (if it's open then). Columbus Day is too late for that.

Anonymous said...

Count my vote for Labour Day(<--pretentious English spelling)- two or three days is cool. I'm not much of an Ellay person, so I don't know much cool stuff to do there but we can figure that out as we ramp up to CAPFEST!!!!!!!!111one

Fred said...

So it's Labor Day then?

Cindy said...

Let's see if it'll let me post this time.... :P

Labor Day (or Labour Day) it is! I hope to be there, with or without bells on. You decide. I'm already requesting the days off of work. :)

And by the way, if any capper is close by Phoenix, give me a shout - I'm always up to go riff a movie, or something.

CindyM